Wetter weather expected towards end of the month
Singapore, 16 October 2015 – For the second fortnight of October 2015, generally dry and warm weather conditions can be experienced on some days. The maximum daily temperature is forecast to be between 34 and 35 degrees Celsius. Towards the end of the month, wetter weather conditions are expected with afternoon thundery showers on 4 to 6 days due to strong daytime heating of land areas coupled with convergence of winds over Singapore and the surrounding region.
2. The Southwest Monsoon season is forecast to transition to the Inter-Monsoon period towards end October 2015. The prevailing southwesterly winds are expected to weaken and become light and variable in direction in the coming weeks.
3. The rainfall for October 2015 is likely to be below normal.
Review of 1 – 15 October 2015
4. Southwest Monsoon conditions prevailed in the first fortnight of October 2015, with low level winds blowing mainly from the southeast or southwest.
5. During the review period, thundery showers affected the island mainly in the late morning and afternoon. Most of the showers fell in the first week of the month, and rainfall was heaviest on 2 October 2015 where the highest daily rainfall recorded was 84mm in the western part of the island around Tuas. In the second week of October 2015, dry and warm weather conditions prevailed. The highest daily maximum temperature recorded in the first fortnight of October 2015 ranged from 34.4 to 35.0 degrees Celsius and on a few wet days, the lowest daily minimum temperature recorded was between 22.8 and 23.9 degrees Celsius.
6. Most parts of Singapore received below average rainfall in the first fortnight of October 2015. The lowest rainfall of 14mm and 28mm (70 to 90% below average) was recorded around the Woodlands, Sentosa and Buangkok areas. Rainfall was highest over the western part of the island around Tuas where 103mm to 125mm (10 to 30% above average) of rain was recorded.
STATISTICS FOR OCTOBER since 1869 (CLIMATE STATION)
Average rainfall for the month — 193.5 mm
Highest rainfall ever recorded — 497.1 mm (1942)
Lowest rainfall ever recorded — 10.8 mm (2002)
Average number of rain days — 16
Average daily maximum temperature — 31.1 degrees Celsius
Average daily minimum temperature — 24.1 degrees Celsius
– End –