Expected few mornings with slight haze and Sumatra squalls
Singapore, 1 July 2015 – Southwest Monsoon conditions are forecast to prevail during the next fortnight with low level winds blowing predominately from southeast or south-southwest.
2. In the first half of July 2015, several warm days with maximum temperatures around 34 degrees Celsius can be expected in the afternoon. Short-duration thundery showers due to strong solar heating of land areas are likely on 3 to 5 days, mostly in the late morning and early afternoon. In addition, thundery showers with gusty winds due to Sumatra squalls can be expected on 1 or 2 days in the morning.
3. Slightly hazy conditions can be expected on a few days, in particular in the early morning, due to the accumulation of particulate matter under light wind conditions.
4. Based on long-term statistics, July has the lowest average monthly rainfall in the year. The rainfall for the first fortnight of July 2015 is likely to be below-normal.
Review of 1 – 30 June 2015
5. Southwest-Monsoon conditions prevailed in June 2015. During the period, the low level winds were blown from the southeast or south-southwest.
6. Dry and warm conditions were experienced on most days in June 2015. There were thundery showers over the island on several days in the late morning and early afternoon, and the highest daily total rainfall recorded for the month was 69mm on 16 June 2015 in the Jurong area.
7. In June 2015, most parts of Singapore received below-average rainfall. The highest rainfall of 160mm and 191mm (0 to 20% above average) was recorded over the western part of the island around Jurong. Rainfall was lowest over the central and eastern parts of Singapore around Whampoa and Marine Parade respectively, where 25mm to 49mm (70 to 85% below average) of rain was recorded.
STATISTICS FOR JULY since 1869 (CLIMATE STATION)
Average rainfall for the month — 158.6 mm
Highest rainfall ever recorded — 527.3 mm (1890)
Lowest rainfall ever recorded — 18.6 mm (1997)
Average number of rain days — 13
Average daily maximum temperature — 30.9 degrees Celsius
Average daily minimum temperature — 24.6 degrees Celsius
– End –