Some showers mainly in late morning and afternoon
Singapore, 1 October 2015 – Southwest Monsoon conditions are forecast to prevail with low level winds blowing predominantly from southeast or south-southwest.
2. For the first fortnight of October 2015, short-duration thundery showers are likely on 4 to 6 days, mostly in the late morning and afternoon. In addition, thundery showers with gusty winds due to Sumatra squalls can be expected on 1 or 2 days in the pre-dawn hours and early morning. Maximum temperatures of around 34 degrees Celsius can be expected on a few days.
3. The rainfall for the first fortnight of October 2015 is likely to be below normal.
Review of 1 – 30 September 2015
4. Southwest Monsoon conditions prevailed in September 2015, with low level winds blowing from the southeast or southwest
5. During the review period, thundery showers affected the island on some days mostly in the late morning and afternoon. The heaviest rainfall occurred on 15 September 2015 where the highest recorded one-day rainfall was 93mm in the western part of Singapore around Tuas. The heavy rain was due to strong convergence of winds over the region. The highest daily maximum temperature recorded in September 2015 ranged from 34.2 to 34.5 degrees Celsius and on a few wet days, the lowest daily minimum temperature recorded was between 22.7 and 23.1 degrees Celsius.
6. Most parts of Singapore received below average rainfall in September 2015. The lowest rainfall of 42mm and 68mm (60 to 75% below average) was recorded over the southeast and east areas of Singapore around Kallang and Changi. Rainfall was highest over the western part of the island around Tuas and northeastern part of Singapore around Seletar, where 190mm to 230mm (10 to 35% above average) of rain was recorded.
STATISTICS FOR OCTOBER since 1869 (CLIMATE STATION)
Average rainfall for the month — 193.5 mm
Highest rainfall ever recorded — 497.1 mm (1942)
Lowest rainfall ever recorded — 10.8 mm (2002)
Average number of rain days — 16
Average daily maximum temperature — 31.1 degrees Celsius
Average daily minimum temperature — 24.1 degrees Celsius
– End –